11.1.15

DIY ǁ Easy Embroidery Hoop Clock



Hello! 

I can feel a bout of Sunday evening productivity coming on. I present to you, ANOTHER blog post!


Those who know me will understand when I say I am a serial DIYer (and organiser, but that's for another day). There's something so very appealing about personalised, handmade knick-knacks lying around your house. I can imagine years later passing on forgotten crafts to my grandchildren. Hopefully they'll be fascinated. I know I am extremely fascinated by my grandmother's knitting. I'm pretty sure there's already a grandma living inside of me. All I need is a purseful of candy to hand out to children.

Anyway, this activity is perfect for when you have about an hour to spare on a rainy day. I did this one a few months ago.  Difficulty level - Minus 1



Things that you will need:
1 Embroidery hoop in a size of your choice (optional - 2 nos.)
Fabric
A clock mechanism
Cardboard
Paint (optional)
Scissors
X-acto knife


The picture is pretty self explanatory really, but here are the instructions.
  1. Stretch a piece of your favourite fabric across an embroidery hoop and tighten the screw. Cut off excess fabric from the edges.
  2. I then took two strips of cardboard. Put them in a plus/cross shape and adjust the sizes such that they fit exactly within the diameter of the hoop. The strips should be quite broad in width.
  3. Now using your X-acto knife, cut two small slits at the central intersection of your cardboard pieces. Carefully cut the fabric slightly as well.
  4. Take your clock mechanism and push it through the hole in the centre. Attach the hands from the other side. And that's it! You're done!
  5. You may want to add numbers to your clock, but i preferred it this way. You may also attach a second embroidery hoop behind your first one, to account for the depth of the clock mechanism.

So there you have it, the simplest of DIYs. I chose a delicate and light coloured fabric to go with my green wall, but you can use just about anything - old T-shirts, pillow covers, tea towels,etc. Paint your hoop to colour co-ordinate. In the end, you will be rewarded with a functional yet personal item for your home, bound to be a conversation starter. The fact that it's practically free is just an added bonus.


Any tips or ideas you might have?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thank you for your comment :)