26.2.15

DIY ǁ Origami Cube String Lights




Hey guys!

So I talked in a post a few days ago about learning new things, and traditional crafts in particular. (Haven't seen it yet? Click right here ! ) I also mentioned that I am keen on learning origami again. I used to know a teeny bit when I was younger, thanks to a friend who used to live in Japan back then and gifted me some cool origami books, but since then I have forgotten most of what I used to know.

So I started with one of the easiest projects out there - the inflatable paper cube! I found this amazing tutorial over on Wit and Whistle and had to give it a try.

All you need is a small square sheet of paper ( mine was 15cm x 15cm ), but you can customise that to suit your need. Here's a YouTube tutorial to help anyone who would like to attempt it!




I used old topography maps I had lying around the house because I wanted to use patterned paper. The colours in the maps co-ordinate well with my room, so that was an easy decision! 

Once your cubes are ready just push the bulbs of the strings lights into the small hole in the cube and you're good to go! I am really enjoying how they turned out, so inexpensive yet still so effective. The best part is that when you're bored of them, you can just deinflate them and store them for later use.







I honestly adore them! How great are they for garden parties and the like! 
What do you guys think? And if you did give this project a go, do let me know how it turned out :)

To more origami-ing,



2 comments:

  1. Wow minna! I definitely want to try this! Thanks so much for visiting my blog! you comments mean so much to me:) by the way, your blog looks amazing!! I can't wait to have a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope your time here is not disappointing :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thank you for your comment :)